About the Guyhirn junction project
The next stage of work includes lining, placing studs on the road, resurfacing, and work to repair the River Nene bridge. These closures are for the approach to the roundabout on the closed road only. The roundabout will remain open for drivers travelling to and from the junction using the other two roads.
Where: The A47 Fen Road will be closed overnight for two nights this week, from Gull Road to the Guyhirn roundabout, for essential works.
- From 8pm to 6am on Wednesday 16 and Thursday 17 March.
- Eastbound traffic will exit the Whitepost roundabout at Thorney onto the A1139, then continue onto A605 Fletton Interchange, take the slip road onto the A605 through Whittlesey and Coates to the A141, and re-join the A47 at Guyhirn.
- Westbound traffic will follow this diversion in reverse.
Where: All the approaches to the Guyhirn roundabout (South Brink, Fen Road, and the A141 March Road south to the A605)
- 8pm on Friday 18 March to 6am on Monday 21 March.
Diversion route for the Fen Road closure is as above.
Diversion route for the South Brink closure:
- Eastbound traffic will follow the A47 west to Peterborough and join theA16 north to Sutterton, then take the A17 east to King’s Lynn, and re-join the A47 to return to Guyhirn.
Westbound traffic will follow this route in reverse.
Diversion route for the A141 closure:
- Northbound traffic will take the A605 westbound through Whittlesey towards Peterborough, then take the A1139 and the A15 north to pass Peterborough, and then the A47 eastbound through Thorney to reach the Guyhirn roundabout.
- Southbound traffic will follow this diversion route in reverse.
The A47 is an important connection, linking the cities of Norwich and Peterborough, the towns of Wisbech, Kings Lynn, Dereham, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft and a succession of villages in what is largely a rural area. As part of a multi-billion investment to improve journeys on England’s major A-roads and motorways, the Government is funding a package of six projects on the 115-mile stretch of the A47 between Peterborough and Great Yarmouth. Together the projects will convert almost eight miles of single carriageway into dual carriageway and improve key junctions along the A47 road.
The A47 road improvement projects are:
- A47/A141 Guyhirn junction
- A47 Wansford to Sutton dualling
- A47 North Tuddenham to Easton dualling
- A47/A11 Thickthorn junction
- A47 Blofield to North Burlingham dualling
- A47 Great Yarmouth junction
We’ll be improving Guyhirn junction between the A47 (Fen Road to South Brink) and the A141 (March Road). This road is used by over 20,000 vehicles a day which can lead to traffic jams. The changes to the junction aim to reduce congestion, improve journey times and increase safety.
Following our Preferred Route Announcement (PRA) in 2017, we made some changes to our design which means it now falls within the existing highway boundary. This means that we did not need to obtain planning permission and we’ve been able to start work earlier than planned.
The design in detail
We’re making the roundabout bigger by creating two lanes on all approaches to the roundabout. This includes an additional lane on the existing road on the River Nene Bridge. During the project we may be able to carry out additional maintenance on the River Nene bridge. This means we won’t have to do more work next year.